Friday, September 19, 2008

Nights in Rodanthe - 2nd Chances

I know.. I know...

My readers are getting tired of hearing about my Hero...

Here is the real story, as I am trying for this fabulous little prize!

At the ripe old age of 22, I found myself seperated from my husband, with a 20-month-old and a 2-week old. I left my life on a week's notice, telling only my very best friend, and disappeared to the shelter of my family, 1000 miles away.

2 years later (almost to the day, now that I think about it) I had been divorced for almost a year, and spent the majority of my time on the computer after my kids went to sleep.

Except for my ex-husband, I had never really dated much (He was my first boyfriend, first kiss, etc... He was a romantic - dancing, starry skies, lonely campfires in the fall, drive in movies with bubbly drinks and popcorn...) and I figured that wasn't going to change. I was overweight and I worked and I had two small children.

One night, someone bleeped in an instant message while I was web-surfing. I responded and we began "chatting" every night. Two weeks went by, and we decided to meet IRL. We went roller skating.

He gave me 3 dozen roses for Valentines Day and went as my date to a church dance a few weeks later.

He took my kids and I bumper bowling when I couldn't get a babysitter.

Three weeks into our IRL relationship, I met his parents. They told him that if he broke up with me, they were keeping me.

I still thought this was just a transient thing. I truly believed that I missed my one big chance at true love when things broke off with my ex-husband.

The Selling Point:
6 months in to the relationship...

Sunday morning - 8AM

Hero calls because he just got off an overnight shift at work.

My 2 year old had just regurgitated all of her breakfast onto her dress and mine.

I had 4 responsibilities at church that I really couldn't miss.

He walked in the door 10 minutes later, took the baby and told me to go to church. I changed and ran out the door with the other child in tow.

Sunday afternoon 12:30PM

I arrive back at home. Hero and baby are laying on the couch in the basement. He is flat on his back and she is laying on his stomach, face down, with only a diaper on, and both of them are snoring. (THIS HAS TO BE LOVE!!!)

Monday 10PM

Hero calls because he got off work (the swing shift). 4 year old and I are sharing a garbage can because the toilet is already occupied (the sickness spreads). He comes over, takes the child, gives me medicine and sends me to bed. Bathes child, gives her medicine, then sleeps on the floor in children's room so that he can get up with them.

Does it get better than this??????

We date for about three years, and then decide we are going to get married.


He never actually proposed. We were sitting at my kitchen table eating chinese food. I had a piece of sweet and sour pork in my chopsticks, lifting it to my mouth, when he says "Girls... I'm gonna marry mom. Is that okay?"

Okay, so traditional romance, candles, and music are not something that I can count on with him. What I do love is the little things.

The spotless kitchen.

The fresh towels that magically appear while I am taking a shower especially when I know I, personally, haven't washed towels in the last week or so.

Helping raise my kids.


I know that my life will never be the same again. I got to be romanced once, and I loved it, but it didn't end well. I don't need it again. What I need, want and live for is someone to share my life with. I need the little things. Hero is my great second chance and my true partner, love and friend.

6 comments:

canihavethisdance said...

Great Story! You really have found a gem! I'm glad things have worked out for you !

McAllister Family said...

What a sweet love story! He's a keeper!

wendysue said...

I have heard that story many times and it NEVER gets old. I love it.

Ahnah said...

I love it! And I love "hero". :)

Alison said...

Shannon, I am crying right now. I guess I never realized the situation you were in and how old you were then with such responsibilities and heartache. Even though I know the story, it is so sweet to hear the details! I am glad you are happy!

Marisa said...

I am so, so, so, so happy that the second time around is better than the first.