Wednesday, February 6, 2008

SNOW DAY!!!

The phone call last night (Tuesday, February 4th), at 9:30PM stated (and I am paraphrasing) due to weather conditions, they would be closing school "today". Meaning that now that the children are home from school and in bed for the day, they are closing school. I found this particularly funny. Of course, they recgnized the problem, and promptly notified the families that they meant Wednesday, but it was rather entertaining.

I suppose I should be grateful that the phone call came last night. Earlier this year, the snow day notification went out at 4:15am. Basically that means that on the one day I can sneak in and turn off the girl's alarm so all of us can sleep in, my phone goes off loudly at 4 in the morning to tell me I can sleep in, which, of course, wakes my kids up too. IRONY!

I remember the days when those of us attending school would rise early and switch on KFRX 102.7, not 106.3, just to mke sure that we didn't have to go to school. The dragging of feet as we listened to song after talkie go by, halfheartedly preparing for school, and hoping that we wouldn't have to go... the sudden rush of craziness when we realize that the powers that be were going to mandate our attendance, or the joyful collapse back into bed, if we were liberated from the obligation. The sheer adventure of it!!!

In the movie "Hook" Peter says "To live would be the greatest adventure."
So - what am I doing to live today you ask? That's easy... I'm going to get up, take a shower, get dressed, have breakfast, clean house (for me that is an adventure) and then go to work.
Anybody wanna get lost with me???

1 comment:

wendysue said...

That's so funny, I had pretty much ALL of those exact same thoughts! I thought it was even funnier when they had to call back to clarify that they meant "tomorrow there would be no school." Seriously, did anyone NOT get it? Anyway, my next thought was "I hope I don't get that 5 am call in addition to the 2 phone calls I just had, so the kids actually sleep in."

But I'm with you on the "old-school" system. NO better way then watch the bottom of the tv screen praying for LPS closed to appear!!