Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Dear Mrs. C

Dear Mrs. C,

You probably don't remember me, but I remember you.

22 years after learning from you, I look at my daughter, almost 12 years old, and just completing sixth grade, and I remember you. I remember that my teacher in 6th grade truly cared about me as a person. Having taught sixth graders, I know it is difficult to deal with the hormones, etc., and you had 30 of us everyday.

Walking through the grocery store today, and spying Down the Long Hills on the book rack, I remember you. I learned to love Louis L'Amour in sixth grade, and to this day, some of the books I re-read are his. I bought the book, since I haven't read it since 6th grade, and plan on reading it to my daughters on a road trip over the weekend.

I attend Renaissance fairs, and I remember you. I remember dressing up in an costuming from the middle ages and asking people to kiss a frog, because that was my contribution to the fair. I remember going to Clinkerdaggers for dinner because I made the honor roll with 2 other girls. It was amazing! I still love all things mid-ages and renaissance (I even studied French throughout high school and college).

To this day, I cannot listen to Sorcerer's Apprentice without imagining black lights and gravestones, and I remember you. I learned so much about performance from your example. You were so good to not just support, but to encourage, our creative outlets.

My children and I take history walks throughout our town, and I remember you. The exercise, learning opportunities, and quality visiting time, are true highlights of my life, and I learned this trick from following you all around Fairbanks.

I attend Science Olympiad competitions for my daughter, and I remember you. I remember how you couldn't just have us open a textbook, read a chapter, outline, and answer the questions at the back. NoNO. We had to build something, or play with something, or live something.

I attended a stage production of The Phantom Tollbooth and I remember you. I remember scrambling through my locker trying to find something tangible to define tangible so I could come to class.

I currently work of the Gallup Poll, and I remember you. I remember passing out that crazy survey and then inputting the data to see the results. Now I do it everyday, and I love it!

I remember that I always wanted to be a teacher, but how I didn't realize what kind of teacher I wanted to be until I watched you. I learned that teaching is not something you do from textbooks. It is something that you give to the world from your heart.

For all these things I've learned, and for the better person I have become as a result of these lesson, I thank you for being my favorite teacher.

Know that you are remembered, that your work is noticed, and that you are appreciated.

With all the gratitude I can send,

Shannon H.

(Fort Wainwright Middle School 6th grade class of 1988-1989)

No comments: