Thursday, February 5, 2009

Kickbacks...

kick-back  - /ˈkɪkˌbæk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kik-bak] –noun

I always thought this was a great word. Usually it meant that I was retaliating to my brothers' feet. Now I have more defenitions. (Thank you dictionary.com)

1. a percentage of income given to a person in a position of power or influence as payment for having made the income possible: usually considered improper or unethical. Don't usually use this partcular defenition. I'm not a bribery girl, but I do see where finding extra hours at work will get me extra income... and I can find extra hours.

2. a rebate, usually given secretively by a seller to a buyer or to one who influenced the buyer. If only this worked at bookstores... or restaraunts... hmmm...

3. the practice of an employer or a person in a supervisory position of taking back a portion of the wages due workers. I have on occasion had to penalize my children for problems by withdrawing funds from their piggys... but I don't think that counts.

4. a response, usually vigorous. Aha!! One I can get on board with. I respond pretty vigorously to everything:
  • Weight gain (5 pounds in the last two weeks. What is up with that???)
  • My husband asking me out on a date. (Who is this man and what did he do with my husband? Know what? Don't care. I'm going to an afternoon movie matinee today...)
  • Puppies (I love that I can pop out to The Management's and something is so happy to see me that it jumps, barks and wags its tail. If only we all responded like that to everything. Well, okay, some of us do.)

5. a sudden, uncontrolled movement of a machine, tool, or other device, as on starting or in striking an obstruction: A kickback from a chain saw can be dangerous. I'll just leave this one alone for today!


Origin: 1930–35, Americanism; n. use of v. phrase kick back

It never ceases to amaze me how one word, symbol, or idea can mean so many different things. I still like my first defenition the best. Beware shins everywhere!

2 comments:

wendysue said...

When did the management get puppies? As in plural? What kind? Fun! (for them, not for me.)

Angie Miller said...

You crack me up, Shannon!