Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Motivation....

I have struggled with weight problems since... egads... childhood. I can still remember at the ripe age of 8 my mother telling me I need to lose weight, or at the age of 11 my father calling me thunder thighs. I swore someday, I would solve my weight problems and be gorgeous.



I did. At the age of 18, I was my leanest ever. I still weighed in at 180 pounds, but thanks to some great friends, the Y mountain (walking to and from my dorms up to the main campus two to three times a day) and aerobics class 4 times per week, I managed to really look pretty good.



I am not so lean now.



Two babies, depression, divorce and a sedentary job will do that to a person.



Fortunately, I have a few things going my way.



Number 1 - A great support system.



My friend, Audra, gets up and walks with me three times per week. Even though I am tremendously poky... We visit and laugh, and plan... We sample each others delicious recipes... It works out great! Thanks for your support!



My doctor is fabulous! He is so great to help me make the good choices, so he doesn't have to make the big icky ones.



The nurse at my doctor's office that meets with me once a week to help me with my weigh in and support me by helping me set goals.



My boss always asks how I am doing, and if there is anything she can do to help. And people at my work who will come down on breaks and walk around with me.



Number 2 - A great mall that lets people come in and walk for health. Around and around and around we go, and hopefully it pays off.



Actually, funny story... The other day, Audra and I were walking around and a lady came up to us and asked us if we were walking to lose weight. (UMMMM DUHHHH) She told us to stick to it. She had lost weight walking, and we shouldn't give up.



I am also grateful to a city and state that promote well-being by offering programs like N-Lighten Nebraska.



Number 3 - My Rewards - This year there are a bunch of trips that I want to go on, but my weight is starting to restrict my ability to travel comfortably on a plane. Therefore, if I hit my little goals, I can go on little trips. My big goal this year is a trip to Las Vegas with my parents and husband for Christmas and New Years. I want to be able to walk the strip comfortably and enjoy the everything.



SO, even though it seems like I have a lot of discouragement, I am grateful to the people who support me, the blessing of living in a health conscious city and the rewards i can set up that keep me motivated.



Thanks!

2 comments:

Audra said...

that's what buddies are for! Maybe someday we won't fear the lacy knickers! ;)

McAllister Family said...

Shannon, you are a beautiful woman. I'm proud of you for making goals and sticking to them even though it's hard! It was so fun to visit with you and Audra today. I'm interested in these lacy knickers Audra is talking about! :)