Monday, November 3, 2008

We're Back!

We're back, and over the course of the next week, I will be filling you in on our little excursion.

But for today, I would like to discuss the power of the break!

We pulled into Lincoln just before 8 PM last night, unlocked the house and all of us promptly fell asleep. Rather than send the girls to school this morning, I called in and gave them the day off. I cancelled their piano lessons, and I let everyone sleep in a bit this morning.

While this may seem a bit unorthodox, I am convinced that we all need mental health days sometimes, and that coming off of a vacation is a perfect time to take one. (I needed one, believe me.)

One of my friends described the need for time after vacations to get resettled into life.

I agree with her completely.

Furthermore, after the stress of vacations, it has come to my attention that we should be taking mental health days more regularly than we do. It is simply a part of our very well-being. The more I considered on this topic over the past few hours, the more I realized that the Lord has encouraged us to look for the peaceful moments in our everyday life, such that we can maintain our mental health.

What do you do to maintain/improve your mental health?

1 comment:

wendysue said...

Yeah! You're back! I totally agree on the mental health day, especially on a gorgeous day like this!

My mental health is usually fixed by retail therapy. My addiction. . .target. That, and chocolate.