Friday, September 7, 2012

To teach, or to mother... That is the question...

My mother was a stay at home sort.  She was always there to do laundry and housekeeping, and get on our case.  We were very blessed that my dad could provide well-enough for our family that she could be home with us.  I always wanted to be just like her.  I wanted to stay home and raise my kids and keep my house... but it was not meant to be.

Every morning I get up and wonder if I should work today in the schools, or if I should stay home and complete the tasks there.  I always feel guilty going to work, because I know that "no success can compensate for failure in the home."  And yet, I truly love what I do for work.

Yesterday, I had an epiphany.  My Heavenly Father did not bless me with the talents He did for the benefit of only my children.  Furthermore, I know that He has purposes in mind for me - I have no idea what's in store.  That being said, I decided to fall into His will.  I told Him that if he wanted me to work outside my home that day, there would be a job for me in the morning, ready to go.  But if it was more important for me to stay home and take care of my family, no job would come up.  I then told him that I would be happy with whatever the plan was and make the best use of my day either way.

It worked yesterday!

I accomplished everything on the "today's list."  I did not complete all the big "Sometime in the future" list, but I did finish what needed to be done yesterday.  Even better...  it was done before I picked the girls up from school.

I know that when we trust in the Lord, and align our will to His, He will help us do what is needful.  I know that we will accomplish what he has set out for us to accomplish, and I am so grateful for Him in my life!

No comments: