Sunday, December 28, 2008

ICE ICE BABY!!!!

I'm not much of a driver...

I mean, as a whole, my drivers licence is valid, and there are no tickets or accidents marring my record such that the insurance company would drive up the ever-rising premiums.

I really don't have too much of a problem during the summer times, but winter driving and I are not the best of friends.

When I was in high school there was a place between Old Cheney Road and Glynoaks on 70th Street that I would slide on ALL THE TIME... The Judge would sit there as we crossed Old Cheney and say "3...2...1... cue the ditch" and off the road we would go, only to be pulled out by my mother's suburban when some kind individual would let me borrow their cell phone (usually a cardiovascular surgeon well known to my family as he was on his way to work... humiliating since I worked for his wife).

None the less, after 5 years and 4 months of a perfectly clean record, Nebraska ice weather and lack of road clearing capability got the better of me, and my Mali is relegated to a life in a garage for repairs. (The two most recent accidents on my car, mind you, were at my mother's house, my car parked, me in the house, and someone backing into my poor vehicle when she could not defend herself)

Let me just say, for starters, that this could have been worse.

It was a Saturday night, around 6 PM. I am headed north on a stretch of road approaching O Street (the main drag). I have the Bug and our friend Nina in the car with me, and I topped over the small hill and am headed downhill into the intersection. Three lines of at least 2 cars a piece, and I caught the ice. I applied my anti-lock brakes, and realized that I was not going to stop. Rather than take out the kind, and completely unaware, individuals ahead of me, I veer to the left and into two poles protecting a bush. The pole stayed vertical. My airbag didn't go off. Nothing... I didn't hit anyone, or anything valuable, but I tore up the front side of my car.

After registering my safety and security and that of my passengers, I called the non-emergency number for the local law enforcement. They determined that because I was on private property and no one was injured, they did not need to make an appearance. I backed out and went about my merry way.

No offense to those in the industry, and I do recognize that it is the holidays, but it should not take AN ENTIRE WEEK for me to get the repairs estimate approved so I can get my car fixed. I have now been without her since last Tuesday, and they haven't even started the work because the adjustor was out.

RIDICULOUS!

Ah well... That's what I get, I guess!

No comments: