Thursday, June 12, 2008

Let's Twist Again!!!!



For my family and friends not completely up on Nebraska/midwest meteorology - here is a diagram of a tornado pathology.

For those of us who live here, this is a way of life.

Sure, we all run for the basement when the sirens go off, but mostly we just sit around with our families and wait - if we are in a town.

Last night, I was at work when the sirens went off. We sat in the catacombs of the building, waiting for the weather service to tell us we were clear. I had been routinely checking in with members of my family, friends, etc.

Then the rain hit hard. Once again, my basement decided it needed to become an indoor swimming pool. I made an executive decision to go home. My boss was not thrilled. Driving was not that bad, but I knew that I needed to be with my family.

We got the water stopped.

DJ and I were soaked to the bone by the time we were done.

It happens that way.

It's sad to think of the 4 scouts and their families who were mortally affected by a tornado last night.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25107608/

Just before Katie was born, a tornado ripped through Salt Lake City, briefly. I can remember the panic. Everyone at my work, an hour away, mind you, was freaking out. I sat there and laughed. I knew we were fine. Mom used to sit out on the deck and watch the things coming.

It's amazing the perspective you receive as you are prepared. When you know what to expect, you deal with it. You grab your kit, you move to the safe place, and you wait it out. Then you help clean up the mess afterwards.

Amazing....

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I remember that tornado in Salt Lake City. It was wild. BTW the Sioux City Scout Ranch was where your mom and dad and I were last week with Girls Camp.