Wednesday, April 4, 2012

O' Henry!

Sunday evening I found myself the caretaker of a 90 pound golden retriever.  He isn't staying at  my house, I'm just petsitting until tomorrow night, but he has been the exact motivation I needed for my workouts.

To be honest, I just haven't felt up to walking/running much lately.  There are lots of reasons, just no excuses.

  • The friends that were my motivators are definitely past my level, and I fell like I hold them up.  
  • It's beautiful outside, so I don't want to work out in my trainer's basement.  
  • I've been so busy that sneaking a walk in is just not working.  
  • 5:30AM is just too early anymore. 
See???  Excuses!!

I am letting it get to me pretty heavily, literally.  My trainer has tried to motivate me, but I am resisting really badly.  I've started to feel sluggish, frumpy and waddley again.  (My one friend said, while I was walking regularly that I "didn't walk like a fat person anymore.")  Now that I have been back on the fat person bandwagon, I can totally feel the difference in the way that I move.  It's just harder to get around.

That being said, Henry being in my life has definitely improved my outlook.  I know how to take care of dogs.  My high school years were the years of Jake and Brandy, the two greatest dogs ever - beautiful white german shepherds.  Dogs have to be fed, watered, played with, walked and brushed.  They are a responsibility and need work.  That has been a motivating factor for me.

Each night, we (some combination of Hailey, Katie and I) have loaded up in the car to drive over and walk Henry.  The first two days came in at some really slow paces.  This morning, I walked him alone, and brought the time up 5 minutes.  I may push a little harder tonight when we go for our walk.  If it isn't raining, I may even walk for a whole hour.

Next week, I have a "girly"/diabetic checkup appointment with my doctor.  I'm hoping there are some changes on the scale, but we shall see!

In the meantime - Thanks, Henry for helping me get back off the fat person bandwagon!

Good Boy!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

How fun. Everyone once and awhile I think it would be nice to have a dog to run with me. Then I remember I would have to take care of it the rest of the time too.