Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Middle of the night...

In my experience, the times we are needed the most are most likely the times that we are most inconvenienced. Fortunately, last night was not one of those times.

My friend texted me at work asking if I could help her with her car. Seems that the lock on the door (meaning that only one door of the 5 on the car accepts a regular key to open it) was broken and the key would not turn. Adding insult to injury, the fobs (the little mechanical doo-hickeys attached to the key ring that electronically open the doors) have stopped working, even with the batteries replaced. As this is their only car, this is quite a problem. Fortunately for her, I really have nothing better to do at 11PM, immediately following a work shift, so I drove over to help her out.

I picked her up at her home, and drove her to her car, parked on a side street, in front of her husband's boss' house. Sure enough, the car won't open. I ask her if she has roadside assistance.

Digression:
Unlocking your car door if you lock the keys inside = $50.
Getting a tow truck to move your car anywhere = minimum $80 (if you are lucky).
Paying $3 a month for roadside assistance to take care of this for you = PRICELESS!!!!!

Sure enough, her warranty with her automobile's manufacturer covered just such an emergency, so we called them. They told us it was going to be an hour before they could get a tow truck to the car.

My diabetes SCREAMED at me. I needed protein. So we drove a few blocks to D'Leon's. For those of you Lincolnites who have never had D'Leons... The 24 hour fast food mexican restraunts are wonderful. For just over $4 I received a LARGE chicken burrito, of which I could only eat half. The other half will be lunch today. (I'm so excited!). We drove back over to the boss' house to wait for the tow truck, and the boss came out and asked us to park in his driveway so we didn't look like we were casing the neighborhood. (Don't I just come off as the burglary type???) We are sitting in the driveway, and I open my burrito wrapper, and some of the burrito juice dumps onto my shirt. The consistancy, color, and texture greatly resembled what I'm sure the burrito would have looked like digested in reverse, and we laughed and laughed.

Thus is the story of my facebook status....

don`t mind me... I`m just sitting in your driveway in my car at midnight wiping what appears to be puke off my shirt.

Side note - The two truck arrived, and was able to open the car door, after picking the lock with one of those long metal things. It was quite the adventure!!!

Moral of the story: If you are locked out of your car in the middle of the night, I can probably be reached to give you a warm place to sit... Just don't let me open my D'Leon's burrito without covering myself in napkins.

1 comment:

wendysue said...

ha! That's a much better story than what I imagined. . .